Eight men and women joined the Diocese of Derby’s team of clergy on Sunday 2 July as they were ordained deacons by the Bishop of Repton, the Rt Revd Jan McFarlane.
The six women and two men bring a huge breadth of background and experience to the Diocese of Derby. Between them, they have worked in a wide range of sectors, including teaching, accountancy and engineering, before responding to God’s call to serve their local communities as Christian leaders.
The eight new deacons will be working in churches across Derbyshire, leading public worship and serving their local communities. Deacons will normally go on to be ordained as a priest a year later.
This year’s ordinations will also be marked as the first time a female bishop has ordained deacons at Derby Cathedral.
Bishop Jan said:
“It is a huge privilege to have ordained eight new members of the clergy this weekend, not least because being a relatively new bishop it was the first time that I have conducted an ordination. Derbyshire will be blessed by the ministry of these newly ordained deacons as they go to work in parishes across the county and it’s always encouraging to see God continuing to call men and women to serve him in this way.”
To find out more about this years’ deacons please click here
Six deacons were also ordained as Priests at a service at Derby Cathedral on Saturday 1 July.
To see photos from Sunday’s ordinations, click here
Full list of new deacons
The full list of deacons who have been ordained this year is below, together with the parishes they will be serving.
- Edward Backhouse*: Aston on Trent, Elvaston, Weston on Trent and Shardlow, Barrow upon Trent with Twyford and Swarkestone
- Kate Buckley: Walton-on-Trent with Croxall and Rosliston (in the benefice of Walton-on-Trent with Croxall, Rosliston with Linton and Castle Gresley), the benefice of Stapenhill Immanuel, the parish of Coton-in-the-Elms (in the benefice of Seale and Lullington with Coton-in-the-Elms), the benefice of Swadlincote and the parish of Hartshorne (in the benefice of Hartshorne and Bretby)
- Paul Desborough: Boulton
- Stella Greenwood: Swadlincote and the parish of Hartshorne (in the benefice of Hartshorne and Bretby)
- Julie Lomas: Brampton St Mark
- Anne Phillips: Matlock Bank and Tansley
- Frank Startin: Winshill and Bretby
- Sarah Watson: Walbrook Epiphany Team Ministry
- Linda Webb: Hulland, Atlow, Kniveton, Bradley and Hognaston
*Edward will be ordained on Sunday 9 July at All Saints Church, Aston on Trent by The Bishop of Derby
Full list of those ordained Priest
The full list of those ‘priested’ this year is below, together with the parishes they will be serving.
- James Durrant: Derby St Alkmund and St Werburgh
- Darren Howie: Derby St Peter and Christ Church with Holy Trinity
- Giles Orton:* Long Eaton St Laurence and Ilkeston Holy Trinity
- Lindsey Pearson: Wirksworth Team Ministry
- David Walker: Dronfield and Holmesfield Team Ministry
*Giles was ordained as Priest by the Bishop of Ebbsfleet at 7pm Derby Cathedral